Yammer is an enterprise social network. It is a platform to:
“Discuss ideas, share updates, and crowdsource answers from coworkers around the globe.” Microsoft, 2017
Cardiff Met's Yammer network is available to all staff and students at:
If you are prompted for a username and password, use your Cardiff Met Office 365 account: your Cardiff Met password and username in the form of:
- [staff number]@cardiffmet.ac.uk e.g.
- [student number]@outlook.cardiffmet.ac.uk
Yammer can be used to connect across the university, potentially to all staff and students, or for smaller team, project or community groups.
Connecting to all staff and students - All Company
All Company channel is the best way to communicate across the university. Anyone can post in the All Company channel, for example you might:
- Ask a question that you haven't been able to find answer for
- Gather feedback
- Promote an event
- Praise colleagues
One of the main benefits of Yammer is that any member of staff or student can create a group. Groups can be used to:
- Inform and Discuss - create a group for your team to keep everyone up-to-date and provide a platform to discuss ideas.
- Connect and Learn - use a Yammer group as a platform to connect to peers and learn from each other.
- Plan and Work - plan a project or task and talk about it through a Yammer group.
To find a group use the Discover more groups link in the bottom left of Yammer.
To create a group
- First, check whether a similar group already exists, use the Discover more groups link in the bottom left.
- Next, use the
Create a group link to create a group.
- Fill in your group details:
- Internal or External - if you need to connect to people outside Cardiff Met, use an External group, otherwise choose Internal
- Group Name - choose a
meaningful group name
- Group Members - you can add people to the group from here, or you can do it after the group has been setup.
- Public v Private -
Public - any member of Cardiff Met, staff or student, can see the content of this group.
Private - only group members will be able to see content.
Here's some hints and tips for using Yammer:
Join groups - join groups that are relevant to you, whether it's learning, project work or communities of interest.
Subscribe - use the subscribe tick box in a group to get email updates.
Use social media conventions - likes, @mentions, hashtags, GIFs are all available in Yammer.
Hyperlinks are created automatically - there is no need to "insert" a hyperlink
Attach files or images - Yammer is
not a document management tool (use OneDrive for Business or SharePoint instead), but the occasional file or image can be added to groups via the
Follow - follow colleagues to get updates when they post.
Announcements - group administrators can make announcements, as well creating a Yammer post these messages are also distributed to group members via email.
For more information about Yammer, take a look at Microsoft's
Yammer video training. Find out when to use Yammer and when to use Teams by visiting our
Communicating & Collaborating at Cardiff Met - what to use, when? page.